So, have you received an update with a lot of bugs, and wanted to downgrade the MIUI version from MIUI 12.5 to MIUI 12. It works on all Xiaomi, Redmi & Poco devices you just need to follow the steps properly.
MIUI is a customizable User Interface designed by Xiaomi. The MIUI receive some updates from time to time, which add some new and exciting features along with the system animations, system visuals, security patches and many more. However, sometimes these updates can also bring some trouble for the user such as battery drainage issues, Camera issues etc.
If you are also facing such issues with the MIUI in Xiaomi devices, you can simply downgrade your MIUI. You can either try two different ways to downgrade:
- The Fastboot ROM: flashed using the Mi Flash Tool.
- The Recovery ROM: flashed via the updated app
Basically, Downgrading is the same for future version’s and prior versions of MIUI, Do note that this process jumps from MIUI 12 version to MIUI 11 version and it cannot jump from MIUI 12 – MIUI 10 and vice versa.
This process formats your data and it’s highly recommended to backup important data.
The Fastboot ROM: flashed using the Mi Flash Tool [From MIUI 12 to MIUI 11]
One of the easiest ways to Downgrade the Android update is using the MI Flash Tool. For this, You would need to download the official MIUI 9 ROM and flash it via the Mi Flash tool.
- 1. Download MIUI 11 Fastboot ROM based on your device model.
- 2. Now, press the “Volume Down + Power” button to boot your device in the fast mode.
- 3. Now connect your Xiaomi device to the PC using a standard USB cable.
- 4. Now, extract the Fastboot ROM and copy its path on the PC.
- 5. Launch the Mi Flash Tool on your PC and paste the address bar of the ROM file folder copied from above.
- 6. Tap on the “Refresh” button.
- 7. Next, tap on the “Flash” button to start the flashing process [This step may take time].
- 9. Once done, your device will automatically downgrade to the previous stable update.
The Recovery ROM: flashed via the updated app [From MIUI 12 to MIUI 11]
Another method to roll back the MIUI is using The Recovery ROM. However, this method is only possible with the same kind of ROMs. You can simply follow the steps mentioned below to downgrade the MIUI version. but keep in mind that this method doesn’t work every time. hence we recommend the first method via The Fastboot ROM, flashed using the Mi Flash Tool.
- Firstly, make sure your Xiaomi phone runs on MIUI 12 Global Stable ROM.
- Download MIUI 11 Recovery ROM and save it to your device storage.
- Launch the ‘Updater’ app on your device.
- Now, tap on the three-dot menu option (‘…’ icon) located at the top-right corner.
- Select “choose update package”
- Select the downloaded recovery ROM which you have saved to device storage in Step 1.
How to Downgrade MIUI 12 to MIUI 11 on Rooted Xiaomi device
If your device is already rooted then you can use this method to downgrade the MIUI
- Step 1: Download MIUI 9 Recovery ROM from the above download section to your device storage. Make sure to copy the ROM to the root folder of the device’s internal storage.
- Step 2: Turn off your device and boot into TWRP Recovery mode. You can follow our guide on how to boot Xiaomi phones into TWRP recovery.
- Step 3: From the recovery main menu, perform a factory reset from the path Wipe >> Advanced Wipe >> Select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache, System, and data and swipe to confirm it.
- Step 4: Again head back to the recovery main menu and tap on ‘Install’. Here you need to choose the MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM file which you have saved to device internal storage in Step 1.
- Step 5: Swipe to confirm the flash.
- Step 6: Wipe Cache and Dalvik cache.
- Step 7: Reboot System and Done
This downgrade can cause data loss. so we recommend Backup your personal data before flashing the device. TO avoid any interruption during the downgrade, Make sure your device is more than 60% charged before you start to downgrade your device.
Do note that every device has a specific ROM and package for this process to work. Search your current version of the device with a proper package of updates. Not recommended if it’s personal use device.
- Xiaomi Android 12 update list with MIUI 13/12.5 update >>> read more
- Xiaomi Android 11 update list with MIUI 12.5/12 update >>> read more
For any changes Xiaomi Android 12 update list do update us on our Twitter page, thank you.
For more updates like Xiaomi Android 12 update please download our android app – Available on Play Store